DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Chris Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:01:51 -0600
George,
Yes, I know. I've taken a good bit of data from your site, but
you have 2 different one. A table of IPC (which I'm surprised
they haven't said anything about that one) and a calculator
that isn't from IPC but generated by a formula from some other
gentleman that has done the research.

(I must say I attempted to use that formula and came out with
1 decimal place off.) I'm sure it works but is implementation
into a stand alone - offline calculator isn't there. (unless you are
talking about another one.)

If IPC was a little more friendly to this area you wouldn't have to
have the site at all.

George, I do want to thank you and others like you that have taken
the IPC and other information and made it into a cleaner and
more user friendly version. The personal time you have invested
into supplying other designers, many times goes unappreciated.
I appreciate what you have done and hope you will continue to
clarify information.

I also have a site (www.robertsondne.com) that leans towards
the software I use and the manufacturing aspect more.
Included is some modular notes, stand alone (somewhat)
calculators and such.

I don't want anything except to eliminate the relay of information
to designers. I attempt to add the manufacturer's standards with
IPC/generic design standards so the users may view the full scope
of tolerances and specifications.
Most of these are rules of thumb that I learned, before I learned of
IPC....

More later.

Chris Robertson

> I have a trace width calculator on my web site at
> http://www.aracnet.com/~gpatrick in the "PCB Data" section.  It is based
on
> equations from IPCWorks 97 (McHardy/Gandhi, Hughes Aircraft TP SO6-2-1).
>
> There is already some slack in the calculations, but it depends on the
> nature of the surge as much as how much surge current you are handling.
If