DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
David Cary <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 18:09:36 -0500
Dear PWB designers,

I thought you'd be interested in the thermal resistance vs. copper area graphs
from IRF:
  "Maximizing the Effectiveness of Your SMD Assemblies: IR Application Note
AN-994"
  http://www.irf.com/technical-info/an994/an-994.htm
  http://www.irf.com/technical-info/an994/an-994p4.htm
has graphs that show that single-sided 2 oz copper boards have superior thermal
characteristics than double-sided 1 oz copper boards. Interpolating from the
graphs, it appears that single-sided 3 oz. copper is superior to double-sided 2
oz copper.

  Using copper areas on the circuit board as a heat sink
  http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/5131/thermal.htm

----
Matthew Lamkin <[log in to unmask]> on 2000-09-26
02:07:41 AM

Hello, did the rest of the article ever turn up?
If not let me know and I'll post it as I once downloaded it all.

Matthew Lamkin.
----