DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

November 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Donald Kyle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 07:49:46 -0600
Stephen,
It depends right?
For .80 mm pitch BGA components you could use the following.

BGA land = .40 mm (15.748032 mils)
Blind Via in pad = .15 mm hole (5.905512 mils)
Solder mask clearance around BGA land of .13 mm (5.11811 mils)

This would result in a .14 mm (5.511811 mils) soldermask dam between
the BGA lands.

Tenting vias is risky as you said, so you could call out for a type
VII via, (filled and capped) this would allow a flying probe tester
to test the via also.

Again, it depends upon your budget, design, your board vendor .... etc.

Donald Kyle C.I.D.+