DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2012

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Mike Buetow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2012 10:01:11 -0400
IPC long has decided upon "land" as "a portion of a conductive pattern
usually, but not exclusively, used for the connection and/or attachment of
components."

Likewise, "land pattern" describes "a combination of lands that is used
for the mounting, interconnection and testing of a particular component."

(These are per IPC-T-50, the Terms and Definitions standard.)

The way IPC develops a standard is, a group will come together for the
purposes of writing a standard. IPC coordinates the effort. The task group
develops a draft, then circulates that draft to anyone in the IPC
membership who wants to review it. Those originating task group then
reviews and dispositions the membership's comments, makes any additional
edits needs, and circulates the final draft (called an Interim Final) for
a task group vote.

As I see it, it's really up to the CAD companies to participate in the
standards development process and accept/adopt the decisions. To pursue
their own "language" is unnecessarily confusing and non-value-added.

Best,

Mike

Mike Buetow
PCD&F/Circuits Assembly
w/m: 617-327-4702
@mikebuetow

PCB CHAT: A new way to engage the experts: www.pcbchat.com

The 2012 CIRCUITS ASSEMBLY Directory of EMS Companies:
circuitsassembly.com/dems