DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

July 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Joe O'Neil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 07:59:41 -0700
My rough answer is that there is no 'standard' panel size within this
industry.

Unfortunately it is still a matter of determining and understanding YOUR
supply chain (as opposed to THE supply chain) - If your products are
being manufactured in multiple facilities in different parts of the
world in high volume the challenge will be to find suppliers with the
same idea of optimum, similar technical and cost structures and yields.

Marry that information with the capabilities (optimal capabilities) of
your assembly providers and you have a rough start on what your panel
size can be.

        We run 5 panel sizes:
        - The smallest 8.0"x10.0" to optimize our ability to push the
limits of technology on pure R&D endeavors (products which will never
see more than 10 units)
        - Our largest in the US is 18.0"x24.0" and used when the board
size and technology and volume demand optimization.
        - Our assembly operation can assemble through all operations our
maximum board size.

There is a major difference between maximum panel size and optimum panel
size.  A supplier in mainland China will likely be manufacturing on
36.0"x48.0" panels, holding terrific registration in the center of the
panel and being on the ragged edge and perhaps losing some yield out on
the edges.  However, put a single 34.0"x46.0" board on there and it is
not manufacturable.  You can take that same theory down to an
18.0"x24.0" panel with sub 3&3 space/trace.  Small boards are easier
yield, small panels allow for better yields.

Are you allowing x-outs?  What are the rail and keep-out requirements of
your assemblers?

No matter what is printed in IPC (and I wish this were not true) is
still becomes a matter of YOUR supply chain vs. the industry standard.

We've seen far too many products optimized for the QTA-PCB fabricator
(who typically has the best opportunity to influence the panel size due
being early in the process) and then being horrible for the assembler
and costly in production.

Component orientation is critical in assembly, for optimum machine load
having all the passives oriented the same way is terrific for speed.
We've seen far too many boards laid out very well in this area only to
have the panel 'optimized' squeezing boards in at 90 degree angles,
which is really costly in assembly.

Hope this helps.
My $0.019,
Joe

Joseph F. O'Neil                        Hunter Technology
President                                     2941 Corvin Drive
(408) 245-5400                          Santa Clara, California 95051
[log in to unmask]                      www.hunterpcb.com

Interconnect and Electronic Manufacturing Services Since 1968