DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Roger M. Stoops" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:51:52 -0500
Roger M. Stoops, C.I.D., PCB Designer

                    Matthew Lamkin
                    <matthew.lamkin@PROTEC-FIRE-DETECTI        To:     [log in to unmask]
                    ON.PLC.UK>                                 cc:
                    Sent by: DesignerCouncil                   Subject:     [DC] More Tips wanted for my first multilayer board?

                    03/12/01 10:49 AM
                    Please respond to "DesignerCouncil
                    E-Mail Forum."; Please respond to
                    Matthew Lamkin

Hi there again, thanks for all the tips folk's, theyre pouring in...

"Input, need more input"

What exactly is a power plane then?
[Essentially, same as a ground plane, but with a different name. Just
distributes power over a board area.]]
Never having used one I'm not too sure.

Is it like a ground plane?
[See previous answer.]
Is it used to route the power connections only, with +v signals going only
to those
places its supposed to and the 0v as a groundplane for the rest of that
layer ?
[Typically, yes.  It can even be split into several or many different areas
to source multiple voltages.  I'm not sure what you mean 'rest of the
layer', but an entire layer is typically dedicated to power, and another to
ground.]

I suppose that I could do that and then use the other 2 available layers
for
routing the signals.
[Yup.]
Why would the powerplane be a middle layer? if it has groundplaning/emc
reduction effects
wouldn't it be better nearer the outside?
[Ground is typically more effective when used on the outer layers as an EMI
shield. Has to do with common-mode rejection of noise and other such
technical stuff. Also, power/ground planes are easier to use and create on
inner layers, also make for smaller Gerber files. When power/ground planes
are placed near one another (0.1-0.2mm), the design benefits from the
resulting distributed capacitance, but this would not be a benefit for EMI
reduction (8 layer designs work really well to get both benefits, but your
management probably isn't ready for that yet...).
Thanks again....

P.S. I like the wallchart etc Senthil, thanks.

Hope this helps some; I'm sure you'll get even more replies...

"Number five is alive!"

Roger M. Stoops, C.I.D., PCB Designer