DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
DUTTON Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 12:37:58 +1100
Hello Amira,
There have been some good references to calculators on the net. For example,
Bill Brooks' site, and also the Doug Brooks article. (many are based on the
IPC charts, so apply to steady state or rms ac values)

http://home.fda.net/bbrooks/pca/pca.htm

Looks like your maximum surge current needs to be taken into account here.
This could be very large with large capacitive loads.
Heat energy takes a finite time to be absorbed by the copper, so the effects
depends on the time duration of the surge. I'm no physicist, so can't help
you much here.
Just an idea, but perhaps the design can be altered to limit this initial
surge current?

regards,
Phil.