DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

January 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:42:31 -0500
Jack,

I'm going to take a WAG at the "U" (I must admit I never thought about
it before!) and suggest that it comes from Signetics and or Fairchild
who may have produced the first commercial integrated circuits.
Signetics called theirs UTILOGIC and Fairchild called theirs
MICROLOGIC.

Also, the word MICRO can be abbreviated with the Greek letter mu (U)
and you have to admit, integrated circuits are pretty small.

Bob