DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

January 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Schwartz, Jerome" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 07:39:24 -0500
All,
        At Harris we mount PWB to metal plates very often.

Two methods are used.
1. Blind vias for all non GND connections.
2. Dimpling the metal plate where the non GND connections are is
usually the least expensive method. Hopefully the PWB will
not change and you won't have to remake the plate.

        We don't generally do controlled depth drilling. Most fabricators
are not very good at it or price our boards to fund their research.
        Use the KISS method for all designs when possible. The second
approach I mentioned above satisfies this.

Regards,

                Jerry Schwartz, CID
                IPC Certified Interconnect Designer
                "May the Schwartz be with you"

Jerry Schwartz, CID             Designer 3
Harris Corporation GCSD         Voice (321)-727-5474
P.O. Box 37, MS 1/9843          Fax   (321)-729-5990
Melbourne, FL 32902-0037        Pager (321)-690-9797
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://harris.com