DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Waddell, Pete" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 05 Apr 96 08:44:31 PST

I've heard it said both ways. But what is the deal? Well since decoupling caps
are intended to minimize switching noise, which shows up at the pwr pin, what
we're trying to do is dump the noise to gnd. This means minimizing noise on
traces, so vcc trace(s) should be as short as possible. I've seen the Moto book
too and it confuses the hell out of a lot of people. Does the Moto fact book say
why the caps should be closer to gnd??

Theoretically the multi layer construction would seem to mean that since there
are no traces, (a surface mount cap does require a trace/via, however short, to
feed to the plane) the caps are filtering noise all across the board. Does this
make sense?

Pete Waddell