DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 17:07:22 -0700
Hi folks...

I am burdened with a somewhat 'unpopular' thought that I feel I need to
share with you for Friday, August 5, 2005... less than 1 Year to the RoHS
deadline...  not long...

I ask you...Is it just me or does anyone else out there think this RoHS
initiative thing is totally nuts? I mean really? Be honest...does it make
ANY sense to you?

It's strange, I have not seen so much artificially created stress in any
industry as the stress I see in this one over the RoHS initiative... folks
are scrambling to comply with this initiative to remove the lead from
solder, components, IC's, you name it everything but car batteries... and
people are really having issues... reliability, bad solder, failures...
shorter product life, I guess the customer service industry in India will
have expanded work to do to deal with all the customers that will have lead
free product issues...

Excuse me.... Why can't we 'JUST SAY NO' to the European Union and let them
deal with not being able to buy our products over there? They are really
only about 20 percent of the world market after all... Aren't we still
selling products to the rest of the world?

It occurs to me, the people over there really won't suffer, there's a black
market isn't there? They use it already... They will get what they want
anyway... they'll just pay more for it through the black market brokers...
why are we letting them dictate the industry and it's direction? What do WE
stand to gain from this degradation of our assembly processes??? Just more
products that fail early due to tin whiskers? Why not let the Europeans
lobby their governments to revoke the Lead Free ban so they don't have to
buy their computers on the black market...  why is this our problem?
Really... think about it...

I think sometimes we might need a counter marketing campaign, one that says,
"Lead is good... Lead is our friend" it makes the solder stable, and
reliable and compliant and resilient and manufacturable... USE TIN/LEAD
SOLDER... it's good for the environment, it's good for your family, it's
good for your electronic products... 'JUST SAY -NO- TO RoHS' I think it
might just work... change the tide... stop the losses this industry will
suffer from going down this path...

WHY DO WE WANT TO MAKE INFERIOR PRODUCTS without the KEY ingredient in
STABLE RELIABLE BRIGHT 'non-tin whisker' growing TIN/LEAD solder???
Hmmm????? Planned obsolescence maybe? I don't get it...

Someone needs to tell the 'Emperor' over there his new 'wardrobe' made of
invisible clothes is really not there... wake up Europe... this is really
not the answer to the so called 'Green revolution'... your lobbyists are
screwing your own countries businesses and economies and the world's markets
as well.

I just don't get the 'lemmings' in this industry... Hey... let's all just
follow the EU over the cliff... no industry, no products, no lead, problem
solved. Wow... what a concept...

I really thought people were smarter than this... when will the insanity
stop? ... this one makes no sense to me at all.

On that note, (I feel so much better now after getting it off my chest)...
Have a terrific weekend, and, uh...  'don't forget to water the 'grass'
growing on your new lead-free PCB's' That new tin whisker 'lawn mower' will
come in handy for keeping your computer running for years to come... ;)

JUST SAY NO to Lead Free... think about it... it could work... after all it
was working before wasn't it?

If the EU wants to make an environmental difference, have them lobby to get
the Mercury out of our FISH... now that's a worthwhile cause...

Just do an Internet Google search http://www.google.com on Mercury levels in
Fish... and the effects of mercury poisoning in people...

Also see what these guys have to say about it...

http://www.mercola.com/2001/apr/25/mercury_fish.htm

Way worse and more pervasive than lead poisoning... and won't affect our
electronics industry at all...

Happy Friday...

Bill Brooks - KG6VVP
PCB Design Engineer, C.I.D.+, C.I.I.
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
Datron World Communications, Inc.