DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Matthew Lamkin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:04:56 +0100
In Jami's message he said:

>"Just don't cry when someone else works on a revision to one of your
>Design(s) in the future, and calls you a "stupid moron and a ****ing idiot"
>and the worst Designer that they have ever run into because you "did it
>backwards" for some stupid personal reason, and caused untold screwups on
>some future production run."

In effectively calling me all these abusive names, in public in a professional forum.
This I find most insulting and I will not tolerate such un called for abuse!

I may only be a beginner and a noob at this job compared to some here, after all I have only been doing it
11 years+, but what I do is about as good as it will get in my company & certainly nothing for Jami to be abusive to me about especially as he does not know.

Jami seems to have completely misread & mis interpreted what I have previously said and got hold
of the wrong end of the stick & has attempted to beat me with it.
Well I won't be beaten by the likes of him!

Jami said:
>You are going to do whatever the hell you want, in spite of what anyone
>else, or what any standards, are going to say, so just go ahead and do it,
>and stop trying to convince anyone else here in the forum that your are
>right, because you are not - you are wrong

Where the hell does he make this assumption from?

There has been a discussion about the location of pin 1 on components and it's importance.

I asked in other messages:
>Why?
>Why does it matter to you guys where pin 1 is?

 Jamie obviously got an email without the ?? marks at the ends of those lines.
The "?" symbol is called a "question mark" and is used when a person is asking a question.

Jami, I ASKED A SIMPLE BLOODY QUESTION!
There was no need for such an outburst as yours because I asked a question.
I asked the question because I do not see the relevance of why pin 1 is so important.

Jami also said:
>And by the way, your successor, who will inherit your Designs after you
>retire or move to another company, >>>>WILL<<<< "use [your] CAD package
>(Cadstar) to create the pick & place file." - which will of course be all
>****ed up, but he or she will not realize that until after a production run
>has been made with your ****ed up Cadstar Pick and Place file because you
>were to stubborn to do it right the first time.

As we all know, Jami knows how my company works better than me, he knows exactly what methods,
procedures and ways of working we use in this company  NOT!

As I explained in my messages we do not use Cadstar to create pick & place files, it is too inaccurate to do so.

I explained in one of my messages:
>IMO it is incapable of generating an accurate P&P file that includes all the data.
>(panel size, fiducials etc). Also component rotations change depending upon the supplier
>as it seems that not all suppliers follow the same standard.
>I prefer to use GC-Place, using the panel data returned (for approval) from my board manufacturer
>prior to plotting, using the pads & an assembly drawing layer & a BOM file
>makes it far more accurate & gets the rotations correct regardless of whatever pin 1
>is within Cadstar.

Because (and for the same reasons that Jack Olson points out within his document on the issue) I have been
forced to use a legacy library by employers who will not allow me to create a new one, if I was to change
my libraries to meet the IPC spec then I would meet with all sorts of problems later on when updating old designs, exactly as jack has said in his document.

Amongst many others, for this reason we do not use the CAD data given by our PCB CAD program Cadstar.
Instead, once a design has been finished, Gerbered etc it is sent off to our board manufacturer who
does the step & repeating/panelisation etc.
They then send back the whole panel of data in GC-Place's format (GWK file) for our approval.

Doing this has saved us countless times from mistakes made by the board manufacturer, prior to doing
this, it cost us dearly as mistakes were not spotted until we had the boards going through production
and caused stoppages, delays etc all of which are costly.

to continue, once I have the panel data I am able to, using GC-Place - create step and repeat file data
for the QUAD placement machines that we use, offline. This means that the machines are NOT stopped to learn fiducials, panel sizes etc, all stuff that Jami thinks are inconsequential, well they DO need to be accurate and provided in the P&P data given to production.

Jami finishes off with:
>PS. Yes, it is true that some manufacturers do not follow ANSI/EIA-481 when
>it comes to packaging components in "tape and reel" for "pick and place"
>machines, but more and more are, and month by month the component
>manufacturing industry is conforming and coming into line with the existing
>standards, which is all the more reason why you should.

eh? so here he admits that I was correct in what I said, that components are not always the same way
around in the packaging and yet continues to harangue me for saying it?

Well Jami, I have just checked the IPC-7351A document compared with real components that we use on the shop floor & have been doing so for years and your precious IPC-7351 is wrong!
Looking at page 78, Molded capacitors (tantalums) are 180 out, SOT23-3/SOT343/SOT223 are also 180 out
from what we have on our reels, and these are supplied by Phillips, Vishaye or Fairchild.
So perhaps you need to shout at them to stop supplying them the wrong way around as your standard "must" be right!

It got resistors right though :-) but I can't see how there can be a positive pin on them or inductors?

Perhaps Jami would like to deal with the crazy woman that we have in our buying department, I can confirm that she would drive him crazy within a week, it matters not what orientation components are in if she can get them cheaper!

Somehow I think that Jami should have himself a holiday, because he is obviously stressed out & in need of one.
(Myself, I just think he was being a wanker). [that was called for!]

Matthew
P.S. I still don't think that pin 1 has any relevance, my parts libraries are correct & work well.
As long as a 1n4007 is mapped in my library and comes out correct, then if a 1n4148 has pin 1 different, it will still come out correctly (not that it does have a different pinout).
Once a board has been Gerbered, there is no longer any relevance to pin numbers!

This email, its content and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may be legally privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient please delete and contact the sender on the telephone number +44-(0)1282-717171 or via email return. Unless expressly stated otherwise, and subject to the disclaimer below, this email does not form part of a legally binding contract or agreement between the recipient and Protec Fire Detection Plc. (registered no. 1170489). Registered Office: Churchill Way. Nelson. BB9 6RT. Lancashire. United Kingdom.
Messages sent via this medium may be subject to delays, non-delivery and unauthorised alteration. This email has been prepared using information believed by the author to be reliable and accurate, but Protec Fire Detection Plc. makes no warranty as to accuracy or completeness. In particular, Protec Fire Detection Plc. does not accept responsibility for changes made to this email after it was sent. Any opinions or recommendations expressed herein are solely those of the author.