DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

December 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 14:22:42 -0500
My sympathies, it's a terrible situation we also sometimes find
ourselves in.  We are in it now with RS-232 interface ICs that were a
standard for over 15 years.  No pin for pin replacements so many
boards will have to be redesigned when we run out of stock.  It's
worse for us as we need Industrial rated parts (-40 to +85C) and more
and more vendors are discontinuing them and not even making available
the MIL version (the end of the Cold War has had a lot of fallout!).

We sometimes use a distributor here in the USA called America II -
they charge what amounts to highway robbery but sometimes they can get
the parts.  www.americaII.com

I am not familar with the SOD6 footprint - what is it?  We use
transorb zeners and use leaded types only.  The take more room BUT as
they take the brunt of external stress do on occasion blow and need to
be replaced and we found this to be a faster way to repair units (and
by being up in the air a bit to disappate energy better.

Regards,

Bob Landman
H&L Instruments L.L.C.
Electro-Optics for Industry & Science