DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 96 15:11:38 EST
Brandon:

I asked a similar question a couple weeks ago on TechNet and received some
excellent replies.  My question related to tenting vias on one side, two
sides or not at all.  I also checked IPC-D-275 and IPC-D-279.  I was worried
about contamination being trapped in vias tented on the top side only.
Here's some of the highlights .. see if you can reach a conclusion.

Are you using LPI solder mask?  If so, you can't use it to tent vias.  You
must use dry film (IPC-D-279 Para N-2.1.3).

Open or untented PTH's and PTV's can allow lliquid flux to be trapped with
the potential for corrosion ... If solder mask is intended to plug ot tent
these holes, it must do it consistently (IPC-D-279 Para N-2.0).

Tenting of vias shall be accomplished so that the hole is covered or filled
from both sides (IPC-D-275 Para 5.5.1).

Some responses from others ...

Will the assembly ever see a wave solder machine?  Then tent vias which are
located under components, where solder balls could be formed.  With the wave,
you can cap the solder side and leave the top side open, assuming you do not
top-side flux.  If you do not wave solder, there is no reason to tent vias,
except to improve vacuum for ICT.

One respondant suggested sizing the top side mask based on the via hole size
rather than the pad size.  Interesting...

At present we are not tenting vias on either side.  We have some cases where
we have vias under components, but these designs don't see a wave.  No
problems that I'm aware of.

good luck

gary ...