DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

December 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
John Parsons <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 13:24:47 -0800
Tony,

Thanks for your thoughts.  You are giving the designers of this board too
much credit :o) .  I have now obtained the specs and I see where they got
the 1.4mm setback dimension from.  This is not a setback at all but the
dimension for the bevel.  They also are not using the last-mate first-break
functionality of the PRSNT1# and 2# pins as all fingers are the same length.
Furthermore, the ground under the connectors on the outer layers will not
all be removed by the bevel so if the mask was to be scrapped through during
insertion then the fingers will be shorted together.

I will have to dig deeper to see what others are doing for bussing these
last-mate first-break fingers.  On older designs with larger pitch I have
seen fingers bussed out the side of the finger but that is not possible on
these designs.  I have also seen them bussed out to inner layers and broken
after plating with a drill.

Thanks again for the discussion.

John