DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2007 12:29:23 -0700
Thanks Paul,

Here's a neat tool managed by the forest service here to monitor fires in
the US...

As you may already know, Google Earth has a feature that can let you add
overlays or KMZ files... there is a link to an overlay that monitors the
fires around the world... updated every 12 hours by satellite.

http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/kml/conus.kmz

You have to have Google Earth installed first in order to use this
feature... It's very cool. Red dots are positioned on the globe and they
change color with time... the lighter colored dots are older than the newest
red dots, etc... so you can figure out which way the fires are traveling by
the most recent red dots on the map... If you look at Vista, CA where I am,
we are pretty much surrounded by fires and backed up to the coast... This
island in the middle of the fires has turned out to be a safe haven so
far...

Also, NASA has put some pictures from space online...
http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/lookingatearth/socal_wildfires_oct07.html

Best regards,

Bill Brooks
PCB Design Engineer, C.I.D.+
DATRON World Communications, Inc.
"Performance you require - Value you expect"
http://www.dtwc.com
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510