DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
George Patrick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:23:37 -0700
Reminds me of the bad old days, Bill.

Back in the 70's (while in the Navy), I had a "bizzare" problem with an
R390A HF receiver, a large, tube-type, 50 lb behemouth.  The trouble report
said that when the operator turned it on it would make horrible squealing
noises, which was surprising since it had no internal speaker.

I went over there, turned it on, and there were no problems.  It was late at
night, so I told the operator to get a large coffee and quit dreaming.
While I was talking, a trail of smoke was coming from the receiver, which
was sitting on a table.  The operator pointed out that maybe I should get
the coffee, I powered the receiver down and opened up the bottom of the
chassis.  After a few minutes of poking around, I found that a mouse had
crawled up on top of the tube sockets of the main regulator tubes (maybe
because it was warm?)  The operator had turned the receiver on and the poor
rodent suddenly found itself in the middle of a metal box with 400 or so
volts on one side and ground all around.  I had to take it back to the shop,
take all the electronics out of the chassis, and let it sit in an ultrasonic
"gunk tank" we used for the teletypes to get the mess off, while I picked
pieces of charred mouse out of the regutator circuits.  What fun :(

Must have been a Friday, too...