DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1995

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
[log in to unmask] (Al Slagle)
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 95 08:05:11 MST

IPC,

You have stated that your certification exam references IPC-RB-276.

As one of many designers, I can assure you that we do not ever reference this
document, or any document like it to verify the way we design pcbs.

However, in the true spirit of knowledge, I am studying IPC-RB-276 in an effort
to learn the things someone has deemed important to my becoming a better pcb
designer.

Now to the heart of the problem. The document is riddled with countless terms
that designers do not use. Pink-Ring, Etchback Smear, and on and on.
It's impossible to understand what your talking about if your documents do not
have a glossery of terms. I'm sure that people in the pcb fab industry know
these terms but as I stated, this is not obvious design terminology.

I bet there is yet another IPC standard, that contains this glossery.
Could you pass this info along..... and while your at it, tell us how that this
fab criteria/inspection criteria is supposed to be feed back into a pcb design?
What can or should I do, to improve or effect these kinds of situations?

Al Slagle