DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

May 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
David Cary <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 10:51:45 -0500
Dear designers,

Ray Humphrey originally asked
> Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2001 11:47 AM
> Subject: [DC] Blind and Buried Vias
>"Could someone
>please give me a general guideline concerning the additional cost of using
>blind vias on a PCB?

"Olson, Jack" <[log in to unmask]> on 2001-04-03 12:44:56 PM reponded

> Subject:     Re: [DC] Blind and Buried Vias
>I have absolutely no idea how to evaluate the cost difference, since
>there is no way to get a "multiple quote" on a design that would prove
>anything.

I found one place
  Advanced Circuits
  http://www.4pcb.com/sample.htm
that has an online tool that gives "multiple quotes" on a design. I use it all
the time for asking things like ``Does it cost less to have one small 4 layer
board and one large 2 layer board plus the connector between them, or to
consolidate them into one big 4 layer board ?'' and ``Does it cost less to use a
clip-on heat sink, or to modify the board to give equivalent thermal performance
without the heat sink (using a larger board, with thicker copper) ?''.

If there were a ``blind vias'' option on this tool, that would prove something.

Unfortunately, this tool does not have a ``blind vias'' option.

Is there any other tool that gives multiple quotes like this ?
Could Ray Humphrey persuade Advanced Circuits into adding that option to their
tool ?

--
David Cary