DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Pete Waddell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:15:53 -0500
Bill, the CID is not a standard. Apples and oranges. Thing is designers should be part of the process.  We all know how important design is to the process and for one reason or another they are still being shut out of the process. By shut out I mean they are not accorded (wether by management or ??) they same level of importance accorded other disciplines. I still sayall of us are the ones to set that right.

p.

Pete Waddell
President
UP Media Group
678-589-8813

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/22/05 01:01PM >>>
Hi Mike,

Well, I can think of one exception... The creation of the DC CID and CID+
study guides and test were done almost entirely by designers contributing to
the creation of the material and tests... I think the only IPC staff persons
assembling and editing it was Deiter and Gary. At least they were the ones
going all over the country having meetings with the individual designers
that contributed their weekends to the creation of the materials and
objectives.

I also noticed when I was at IPC APEX/Designer Summit in Anaheim that there
were substantial fees paid to attend standards meetings that were being held
there...

I have never had to pay to attend a meeting yet, so I know they don't charge
the designers to attend our meetings but I did think it was strange to
charge the folks that came to the spec creation meetings... maybe now I
understand why... if they are paid representatives from companies that want
to influence the outcome of the spec... interesting...

I know the designers can't do that and aren't being paid by some company as
lobbyists to influence the spec creation... :) we can't hardly afford to by
some of the specs let alone lobby the outcome...

Thanks for the insight into the IPC's inner workings though... it's not an
easy thing to understand where they are coming from for a lot of us...

Best regards,

Bill Brooks - KG6VVP
PCB Design Engineer , C.I.D.+, C.I.I.
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
e-mail:[log in to unmask]
http://www.dtwc.com
http://pcbwizards.com