DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Karen Anne Cardwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 08:53:52 -0700
For press-fit pins, the drilled (raw) hole size is as critical, if
not more critical than the finished holes size.

When the pin expands in the hole, it cuts into the copper and stops
expanding once it hits the hole wall. The location of the wall is
what determines a good or poor connection, as there is NO solder in
the hole to make the contact between the barrel and the pin.

Whenever using press-fit components, the finished and the drilled
(raw) hole size both need to be called out on the fabrication drawing.
This is information is always the same as what the component manufacturer
has called out.

Also, press-fit padstacks should not have thermals, but be full plane
contacts. Thermals are only need to keep heat from discipating during
soldering. Press-fit pins are never solder, therefore should always
be direct plane contacts.

Hope this helped.

Karen Anne Cardwell, CID
email: [log in to unmask]