DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

May 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
George Patrick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2007 18:44:50 -0700
Howdy, Bill:

No, I am saying that because of the thermal conductivity of a copper plane compared to the thermal conductivity of a number of unconnected traces on a substrate, as well as the very short length of the thermal spokes, the charts are probably an _additional_ 50-60% off over the 50% derating built into the 50's vintage GE nomographs the IPC "borrowed" for their standard long after it was in common use.  When you also count the fact that you are only calculating based on a 10-20° rise over ambient, you can pretty safely violate the "standard" with little or no effect for the typical application.  I wouldn't want to assume it with down-hole or automotive engine compartment applications, but for more normal temp ranges I am confident in saying that uprating by 50% is safe when it comes to _thermals_ calculated using the empirical formulas used by the various calculators.

This is not talking about long traces, just the short 10 mil by 15 mil or so spokes.  Continue to use the values calculated for traces.

<disclaimer>As always, it is JUST MY OPINION, I don't speak for Tektronix, keep your lawyers to yourself, do your own due dilligence before using it on an airplane or other mission critical application, etc., etc., etc. </disclaimer>

--
George Patrick
Tektronix, Inc.

"Off grid and Proud of it!"