DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
James Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 13:53:04 -0600
Okay folks,

We have a client that we have contracted to fabricate a PCB for.

They finally produced a Fab Drawing, and in the Notes, they have the
following...

3.2 Board Material to comply with IPC 4101/21,
    FR4 Material. Copper Clad both sides, 1Oz
    Copper, 0.062 Thk, ENIG Plating finish.

3.9 Electro Solder Plate entire copper surfaces,
    .0003 minimum thickness and reflow solder
    (Infrared Fusing Preferred).

Now... to my way of thinking, they have specified the PCB finish twice.
In 3.2, they are wanting a gold finish (Electroless Nickel Immersion Gold).
In 3.9, they are wanting a solder-plated finish.

Or, am I mis-reading this?

(I have left out the other notes 3.1, and 3.3 - 3.8, as they do not apply to
this.)

Could someone more knowledgeable set me straight?

Regards,

James Jackson
Oztronics