DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
[log in to unmask] (George Franck X2648 N408)
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 16:45:13 -0500
Tom,
        I almost met you recently at my first designer councel meeting in
Sterling Va.  It was an interesting meeting.  The topic covered things I do
every day.  I like your DFM manual, also.

        I wanted to post a rebuttal to your recent "Junk mail" posting.  I
agree and disagree.  As you said,
        "There are alot of "weenies" out there who seem to take delight
        in taking pot shots at the IPC, either with the QOD's, or the
        certification program."
You are right, there are.  And that is life.  It is the mind set of many
designers out there.  Some of the best, most imaginative designers I have
met I would place squarely in the irreverent, unprofessional "weenie"
category.

Now, these weenies have it in themselves to work 100 hour work weeks,
because some (more professional) electrical engineer is late on their
design.  The weenie has to pull all nighters to recover the schedule.  Not
their problem, but they help fix it.  Let's agree, these are a different
kind of people.

They have a knack of seeing things that are wrong, or won't work.  In
society, they may take 'pot shots', which often makes bruises but also gets
results.  Perhaps their way of contributing is not professional, but it IS
their way of contributing.  It is this same knack of seeing things that
won't work, and going for the quick fix which makes them excellent circuit
designers. (finding circuit which won't work)

I would encourage the rabble rousers to go ahead and rouse the rabble.
Thats who they are.  I don't think we want to exclude those voices which
don't conform to certain codes.  There seems to be two groups (at least)
out there, the professionals and the weenies.  No disrespect to either,
both have important roles to play.  The professionals need to hear the
weenies speak. The weenies need to hear the professionals speak. Which
brings me to my last point...

In your last para you wrote:
        "I've done some "sidebar" internet chatting with some of the
        other charter members of DesignerCouncil and TechNet.  You don't hear
        from many of us anymore, pretty much because of the things I've
        outlined above."

This sound very much like you are 'taking your ball and your bat and going
home' because others are not up the the standards of 'the other charter
members'. As I said, the weenies need to hear from the professionals.  I
hope this does not mean you won't contribute until everyone agrees to 'play
nice'.

In closing with a smile, I would like to quote Monty Python and the Holy Grail,
        "Help! Help! I'm being repressed!"