DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

June 2008

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
George Patrick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:43:44 -0700
I am _very_ worried about what happens if Cadence manages to buy Mentor (assuming the FTC allows it).  Cadence has a VERY short attention span when it comes to PCB Tools, all their executives are IC people, their conference has six or seven IC tracks to one or two PCB tracks.

If this merger happens, I believe they will pull the majority of R&D funding from PCB (since they will figure there is NO competition), and we will see minimal "improvements" to their tool set.  I am concerned about support as well, as I would bet that bug fixes will be less of a concern as well.

--
George Patrick
Tektronix, Inc.

"Off-Grid and Proud of it!"