DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

June 2004

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Roger Gathright <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roger Gathright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 19:46:33 -0700
> 1) What is your Job title?
        Electronic Engineer

> 2) Are you involved in PCB Design or some other activity - (please
indicate)
        Ele3ctronic design and PCB.

> 3) What type of boards do you create?
    DSP or Analog interface.

> 4) How large is a typical design team at your company?
        2 - 3 people

> 5) What is the duration of your typical design time?
        3-5 Weeks

> 6) What percentage of the time spent is on Schematic Development?
        About 20%

> 7) What percentage of the time spent is on PCB Design or Layout
        About 30%

> 8) What percentage of the time spent is on Manufacturing support
        5%

> 9) What percentage of the time spent is on Signal Integrity
analysis
        0%

> 10) What percentage of the time spent is on Thermal/EMI
        2%

> 11) How many boards are typically in your projects?
        I see two, occasionally three per project.

> 12) How many FPGA's or ASIC's  are used in your projects?
        Varies, typical is three to five.

> 13) What is the average layer count of your PCB designs
        9 chips.

> 14) What is the typical clock speed or frequency your designs
operate at?
        25 to 150MHZ

> 15) Do you consider your designs to be 'high speed'?
        No

> 16) Will you be doing much more, more, the same, less, or much less
designs
> next year?
        Probably, these are selling...  Big time.

> 17) What CAD tool(s) do you use?
        Currently PROTEL 99SE

> 18) Do you plan on spending more, same or less on CAD tools next
year?
        Not up to me.

> 19) Are Signal Integrity tools important to the success of your
board
> designs?
        Not very.

> 20) Are you very satisfied, satisfied, or not satisfied with your
design
> tools?
        Mostly satisfied.  Trivial matters annoy more than trouble.

> 21) What does your CAD tool do Right? Or Wrong? What do you like
about it
> and not like about it.
Right? It works as it says it should, mostly convenient and
relatively easy to use.
Wrong?  Makes many backups. Hard to keep track of them sometimes.
Like?  It is an integrated package and I can view different parts of
the project on the same screen.

Dislike?  The help files were written in Au English and require
translation.  Hard to find synonyms for some common words which seem
to be unknown in Au.

> This should be interesting.... let us know how you stack up against
the EDA
> survey... similar or different?

Don't care.  Everyone has different experiences and tastes.