DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Pete Waddell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 96 09:39:00 PST
     The reason for the flip "change vendors" comment is a lack of
     confidence in vendors who are far behind the technology corve.
     Unfortunately  don't remember your exact comment about the fabricator,
     but when I hear board shops give answers that indicate they
     primitiveness, it burns me up. (As I get older I seem to have less
     patience). Board fabrication has come a long way just in the last few
     years and vendors are working with engineering to build better
     product. Of course people who do the layout should do their utmost to
     inprove manufacturability, but personally I've found that shops that
     do not keep up have more than the problem that is evident.
     There are benefits and drawbacks to your question - you are the one
     who will have to make the decision - if the benefits of removing pads
     out weigh the fabricators concerns (dull bits?) then remove the pads.
     I am uncomfortable with the board shop doing this. What if they remove
     one they shouldn't ? Most current software will do this for you and
     allow you to review it.
     Sorry if the first answer sounded flip. But if you are not happy with
     your fabricator's answer, then what are your alternatives?

     Respectfully,
     Pete Waddell