DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 2008

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"[Jeffrey] [Jenkins]" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:27:44 -0700
Dale,

Below are recommendations and should be taken as that.

The first place I would look to find what the root failure of the via is.  Various things could cause this, sometimes more than one.   A few possible avenues:

Design level:
*wrong size pads for design
*wrong material for style of design and final assembly of pwb - could cause issue more at assembly level, certainly with lead-free and low Tg/Td material
*Are the boards 100% netlist tested at the fab vendor before assembly?
At this level, review the notes, the design and know the material being called out.

Fab level:
*poorly drilled holes - improper cleaning of the holes
*worn drill bits
*improper plating in the holes
*old material, check the date of manufacture of the material and how it's been stored.  Some board material is age and water sensitive and this will effect process.
*Were the boards 100% netlist tested before going to assembly to see if they were good to begin with?
*Are the failures occurring in random places in one particular area, it can be clue

To check the fab level, I'd recommend a cross section of the vias that are of issue on a failed device, this will tell you a ton.  It should be done to a bare pwb (unassembled), but it would be no longer repairable or usable.

Assembly level:
*Check the board material to see if it can handle the reflow temp process that was used, whether it be lead or lead-free.
*review the reflow profile, maybe it's too high in temp or too long.
*maybe the board is being flexed during assembly.  Should it be thicker for the physical size?  I'm just guessing with no dimension size.

Again I'd recommend a cross section of an afflicted board of the vias in question.

The main purpose of all this is start narrowing down the possibilities.  Obviously it is something, whether it be design, fabrication, or assembly.

Hope this helps some,

-JJ

JEFFREY A. JENKINS
SR. PCB/CAD Designer CID+