DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

December 2003

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Chris Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:09:29 -0600
Steve,
Just to throw in my 2Cents here. Never specify layer to layer registration.
It should always be layer to TOP layer registration.
Same with the drill. The Drill should be referenced to the top layer.
(or bottom, Pick one)
Why?
If you reference one layer to another, it becomes cumulative.

The manufacturer annular ring is composed of 3 values.
Drill, Layer registration, and image.
Conventional technology (the lowest) consists of .003" per.
Drill         .003"
layer       .003"
Image      .003"
Min AR = .009"

As you can see, the layer registration should be no more then .003" from your
reference layer (top or bottom).
Throughout the higher technologies the layer registration is still one of the weak points,
so I wouldn't specify less then .003", unless your manufacturer indicates they can do better.

Chris Robertson
Author "PCB Designer's Reference"
ISBN: 0130674818
Search for it at www.amazon.com