DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Chris Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 12:41:02 -0600
Hello again,

I've spoke with several manufacturers about giving them
a survey to fill out on guidelines of capabilities.
All I have spoke with were not only interested but very
supportive.
The understanding is these would only be guideline that
would neither control or rule manufacturers, but provide
both the designer and the manufacturer of what is required.

I have a list of 80 manufacturers, across the US (provided
by Tom Hausherr of the windriver group) and intend on
taking my time and collecting a good selection of values
to present as an independent survey.

At the survey's completion I will present this to the IPC
local chapter...pending application.

I believe if executed correctly, we as designers will have
a hard rule to follow.

This will entail either;
support by IPC documentation so designers may specify
a technology and the manufacturer will clearly know what
is expected of them.
or
Designers may independently request their manufacturers follow
these guidelines.

It is understandable that some manufacturers will want to protect
their leading edge type processes. This will allow that information
to remain between them and the designer.

It is also well known that there are 3 basic manufacturing processes.
Image, etch, and drill (4 really, including ML lay-up)
These are the basic process of the bare board only and don't include
silk and mask. Each of these are independent technologies and will
be kept and defined separately.

The designer will then determine if they wish to design a straight line
technology or a multiple-technology board.

Most of you have been designing for some time and this does not
appear a attractive aspect. Think of the newbies. This is the hardest
aspect for a new designer. Finding out what you have to work with.

Wish me luck,
Chris Robertson
www.robertsondne.com
"The PCB Designer's Resource"