DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

December 2003

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:46:56 -0800
Hi Ray, there was an article in the Route that discussed the tables for
conductor spacing in depth.. here is the link

http://www.ipcdesignerscouncil.org/oldroutes/dec00route.pdf

The copy of a conductor spacing chart I have based on a combination of UL,
CSA, VDE specs, ( before CE came out) indicates that on the Primary side of
any transformer:

Hot (AC Line 120VAC up to 250VAC) to Neutral creep (over surface) spacing
minimum is 2mm or .079 in.

AC Hot to Gnd creep spacing minimum is 3mm or .120 in.

AC line Primary to Secondary is 8mm or .320 in.

If the circuit is not protected from dirt or contamination the spacing
increases by 1mm.

As voltage increases you can apply a rule to calculate the appropriate
spacing. That is .023 inch  plus .0002 inch per volt peak over surface or
through air. 250 peak volts AC would be .073 inches using that calculation.

Understand these are safety requirements and you will need to contact the
agency you are trying to get approval from for less spacing... I know these
numbers work for VDE or TUV and UL. UL actually has less stringent
requirements than the EU groups do. If your product violates the minimum
spacing, you will have to demonstrate that the system does not present a
fire or shock hazard and pay for the testing to verify it. That's the only
way to get approval if you do not meet the minimums.
The values they use are de-rated and have large safety margins built in, I
have demonstrated that much smaller values will pass under controlled
conditions, however you must take into account all the variables. A batch of
boards that passes at the physical minimums may not pass on the next batch
due to contaminants or residue left on the surface by poor rinsing or bath
quality, or handling at the manufacturer, or changing vendors, humidity
etc...

So they safety margins have real value in that they will work under all
conditions...

Hope that helps a bit...

Bill Brooks
PCB Design Engineer , C.I.D., C.I.I.