DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2002

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Chris Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 15:25:19 -0600
Susy,
I have done this as both a designer and as a Fabricator.
If the routed area is NOT copper plated, it is easy enough.

First ensure that all layer have the copper pulled back from
the routed area.

Second, make sure your Fab drawing clearly shows the top
and end view of the board.

Third Place 3 or 4 tooling holes in the board. .126" holes
that are non plated towards the four corners, but not in
the routed areas.

Fourth contact your board house. (I know of 2 specifically
that do this for me. Some of our boards are thicker then
our card guides.)

If they don't know how here is the procedure.
Manufacturer procedure for mitering board.
A separate route file is created.

The table is checked for flatness. (this is done by moving the
route bit over the area and spacing is consistent. Raises may be
milled off)

Tooling holes/pin holes are drilled in the backing board or table
The board is mounted to the table.

Another flatness test is preformed. Same process except the board
is tapped down in high points.

The router is zeroed out and dropped the difference between the
desired thickness and the overall thickness.

The mill process is now run.

Acceptable tolerance are about +/- .010" More if possible.

I worked with both board shops to do this and the results have
been great!

Good luck
Chris Robertson

Senior Designer
Lockheed-Martin Services Inc.
4912 Research Dr.
Huntsville, AL 35805
(256) 722-2626
http://www.lmsg.lmco.com <http://www.lmsg.lmco.com/>

Author "PCB Designer's Reference"
to be released in Spring 2002

Designer Council Member since 2002! lol

> I've got a good one for the gurus out there!
>
> And engineer just asked me if a rigid board could have an
> area (an edge
> actually) routed such that the overall area of the board is
> one thickness
> (.125), and the routed area is another (.062) See the side
> view picture
> below...
>

> routed area
>           \   __________________
>         _____|                  |
> .062    |_______________________| .125
>

> Other than the obvious issues of controlling routing depth,
> and I imagine a
> hugh cost, what else should I be concerned about? Can it even
> be done??? We
> were thinking that it might be easier to build two boards and
> fuse them into
> one, but would the alignment problems kill that idea?
>
> TIA for any help,
> Susy
>
> Susy Webb, CID
> Sr PCB Designer
> Carlo Gavazzi Computer Systens
> 281-875-1500 x33

> following text in
> the BODY (NOT the subject field): SIGNOFF DesignerCouncil.
> To set a vacation stop for delivery of DesignerCouncil send:
> SET DesignerCouncil NOMAIL
> Search previous postings at: www.ipc.org > On-Line Resources
> & Databases > E-mail Archives
> Please visit IPC web site (http://www.ipc.org/html/forum.htm)
> for additional
> information, or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or
> 847-509-9700 ext.5315

---