DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Jim Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 15:43:38 -0500
Dewayne,
You bet this is the place for this type of question.  Welcome to the world of
PCB design.  IMHO, there are two basic things you must learn to be a successful
PCB designer.  One is all the rules associated with PCB design, that is design
for manufacturing, design for test, design for repair, etc.  and the other thing
is mastering the software used to accomplish item one.  The IPC has several
seminars and training materials along with there certification program.  I have
also found seminars by Mary Sugdan of the Copper Connection, Jim Blakenhorn of
SMT Plus and the annual PCB Designers Conferences (EAST/WEST) to be very
informative.  These types of things along with on the job work experience will
help you with item one.  As far as the software goes, well, good luck.  Try to
find a users group that is active where you can go to get tips on how to use the
tools.  Otherwise it's a case of dive in and play with the software so you can
get it to do what you want.  Good luck.

Jim Bauer
Artesyn Technologies
Madison, WI    USA