DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

May 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Mike Buetow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 11:46:00 EDT
IPC Designers Council Local Chapter Reports

ATLANTA
Next meeting: May 12
Topic: Education study group
Location: Home Wireless Networks (Norcross)

The May meeting will be dedicated to formally establishing our study group
for the Designers Council certification program. All interested parties are
welcome. Ray Kuwalik of Home Wireless Networks will be the group leader. Call
Joe Gibson at Hadco Corp. (770-474-6645) if you have questions.

A/HOT (Austin)
Next meeting: June 1
Topic: Engineering expectations for designers
Location: National Instruments

The A/HOT chapter had a "Cool" Summer Golf/Picnic outing at the BAR-K Park
along the shores of Lake Travis this past weekend. Many thanks to Greg and
Anne Ochoa for setting up the golf tourney and making all the other
arrangements.

 Our next meeting topic will be Expectations of Electrical Engineers for PWB
Designers. We will have a panel of three or four EEs present thoughts on this
topic, followed by a roundtable question and answer period.

Come early for pizza at 6:30. The technical portion will start promptly at 7.
National Instruments is at 11500 North Mopac Blvd. For directions contact
Eddie Molina at (512-683-8540).

AUSTRALASIAN
Dates for monthly meetings in Melbourne will now alternate between Wednesday
(odd months) and Thursday (even months) at 6:30 p.m. at the SMCBA offices.

AUSTRALIA
Rick Hartley of Applied Innovation Inc. returns the last week of May to
deliver his High-Speed Design and Impedance Control workshops in Melbourne.
Gary Ferrari is also conducting the IPC Designer Certification workshop at
the invitation of our chapter. Further info is at www.attecaustralia.com.

CENTRAL OHIO
Next meeting: May 19
Topic: DfM
Location: Alpha-C Inc. (Dayton)

As a followup to our tour of Circuit Center in March, we will watch an
IPC-supplied video on design for manufacturing, followed by a discussion.
Alpha-C will host the meeting, which takes place from 7 to 9. For directions
or more information call Mike Floyd at Alpha-C (937-252-9496, ext. 120).

GREATER BOSTON
Next meeting: May 19
Topic: Surface finishes
Location: Lockheed Martin (Lexington)

Our featured speaker this month is Leighton MacMillan, chief technology
officer at PWB manufacturer Coretec. He has over 18 years experience in PCB
manufacturing management. There is a $10 meeting fee for nonmembers, $5
meeting fee for members, and we'll have pizza and soft drinks available.

Ed Murphy, technical trainer and consultant at Viewlogic, presented an
outline and overview of common signal issues and types of solutions at our
April meeting. This included topological and termination strategies.

Design is not called "do" for a reason. To design in today's environment
implies adding value while giving electronics a physically manifestable form.
In order to add value one must have a full grasp of the issues and
stakeholders who often help to mediate compromises among those interest
groups. The Greater Boston chapter is trying to bring stakeholders, from
every discipline to show you their problems and solutions so you can add them
to your arsenal of knowledge.

GREATER PHOENIX
Next meeting: May 11
Location: Motorola SSTG
Topic: CAD to PCB - The design to manufacturing interface

Our speaker is Gerry Partida of Marcel Electronics. Partida has experience
working for CAM suppliers and PWB manufacturing. We'll have food and
beverages from 6 to 6:30. The meeting will take place from 6:30 to 8:30.
Motorola is located at 8201 E. McDowell Rd., Scottsdale.

GREATER TORONTO
Next meeting: Every Friday
Topic: Certification study group
Location: ATI Technologies Inc.

A series of weekly study sessions are being held at ATI in preparation for
the upcoming Designer Certification exam in Toronto (see Upcoming Events).
Designers discuss the five sections in the study guide and clarify concerns
and questions. We have invited Stanley Kostecki from Leitch Technology Inc.,
Thomas Mulvihill from Consultronics, and Patrick Jabbaz from ATI to assist us
in the study sessions. We will hold the study sessions every Friday, from
5:45 to 8, until the exam date. Bring your own CD and/or Study Guide and all
necessary IPC standards for the study sessions. RSVP with Ignatious Chong,
Glenn Rutherford, or Greg Bordash.

ATI is located at 75 Tiverton Court, Markham. The meetings take place in the
first floor Cafeteria. Follow the signs from reception. (Note that you must
sign-in at the front desk.)

HOUSTON
Next meeting: May
Topic: Electronics principles

A free, one-day technical class, for paid members, will be presented in May
by Randy Collins of Baker Atlas. The topic, Electronics Principles, will be
geared to give designers better understanding of how to take a theoretical
design and apply it to the physical creation of a PWB. For more information
contact Paul Danna at Compaq Computer Corp. (281-518-6735).

MIDWEST (Minneapolis)
There is no guest speaker in May. Instead, we are going to make a list of
topics (for example, materials, ball grid arrays, design specs, etc.).

Our guest speaker for our April meeting was Erik Bergum, corporate director
of technical services at Polyclad Laminates Inc. The topic was IPC-4101,
Specification for Base Materials for Rigid and Multilayer Printed Circuit
Boards. His presentation on how IPC-4101 is replacing MIL-S-13949H
was very informative and useful for the designers. (We would also like to
thank Dan Turgeon for arranging for Eric to speak.)

NORTHEAST OHIO
Next meeting: June 2
Location: Rockwell Automation/Allen-Bradley (Mayfield)

The time will be 4 to 6; the speaker and topic are to be determined.

NORTH TEXAS
Next meeting: May 6
Topic: "What Your Design House Had Wished You Asked"
Location: Texans Association Building

The Texans Association Building is located at Texas Instruments in Dallas
(I-635 at Central Expressway).
6 - 6:30 Officers, Committee Members, interested participants meet
(pre-meeting)
6:30 - 6:55 Refreshments and networking
6:55 - 7:10 Announcements ( Chapter, Education, Transition Plan
7:10 - 7:55 Panel Presentation: "What Your Design House Had Wished You Asked"

Panelists are Ron Bouchard, ACD; Krista Fairbanks, Avex; Dan Tharpe,
Cerprobe; Russ Wirth, Design Solutions; and Dwight Schirmer, Epic
Engineering. The moderator is Keith Larson of Circuit Technology Inc. The
refreshments for this meeting are sponsored by ACD.

In July, we'll feature High Speed Printed Circuit Design ( A Practical
Approach, given by Rick Hartley. The location will be Dallas. The cost: $125
members, $195 nonmembers. Contact Jenny Ross or Keith Larson at Circuit
Technologies (817-481-7281; fax 817-481-0241). This one-day course is a crisp
focus on the issues PC board designers and engineers need to know. Topics
include: fundamentals of wave propagation and signal attenuation; correct
power distribution and decoupling; impedance modeling; impedance equations,
impedance/reflection control techniques; board trace routing and stubs and
device loading. All attendees will receive a comprehensive workbook on high
speed design.

ORANGE COUNTY
Next meeting: June 2
Topic: All you ever wanted to know about IPC
Location: VeriBest (Irvine)

The Orange County (Southern California) chapter is alive and kicking! Our
highest priority is to elect officers. If any of the other chapters would be
willing to share job descriptions, suggestions, etc., please
contact Kevin Seaman ([log in to unmask]).

Gary Ferrari will be the guest speaker at our June meeting. We'll also
nominate and elect officers.

Sept. 21 we'll hold a joint meeting with IMAPS. The speaker will be Dave
Hoover, field application engineer at McCurdy Circuits. He'll focus on two
hot PWB topics: controlled impedance boards (single-ended and differential),
and surface finishes (what, why, and where). We'll also tour McCurdy
Circuits, which is a PWB manufacturer.

PACIFIC NORTHWEST (Portland)
Next meeting: May 19
Topic: New design standards
Location: Tektronix Inc.

We had an executive board meeting April 22 at Praegitzer Design in Hillsboro.
In attendance were Ruth Delker (secretary), Tim Mullin (vice president), and
Jim Yohe (president). We spent the meeting planning for our next three
general membership meetings.

Our May 19 meeting will feature Delker, who is quality assurance and training
program manager at Praegitzer, reviewing the IPC-222X PCB design standards.
It will be held at Tektronix in Beaverton.

Our July 21 meeting will be held jointly with Seattle's newly formed Cascade
Chapter at the Holiday Inn in Kent, WA. Dieter Bergman, director of
technology transfer at IPC, will be our guest speaker (topic to be announced
in the next Route.)

Our Sept. 14 meeting will be an all-day workshop titled, High Speed Printed
Circuit Design - A Practical Approach, taught by Rick Hartley. More details
will be announced in the next Route.

For the most current information, check our Web site at
www.ipc.org/pnw/index.htm.

SAN DIEGO
Last month, James White, sales engineering manager at Hallmark Circuits Inc.,
presented an overview on DfM and a tour. The next meeting is being planned
for June; please stand by for updates.

Community highlight: The Council is working with instructors at Palomar
College in San Marcos to encourage their involvement to help local designers
learn industry practices. Also, study groups are forming for the
certification exam.

SOUTHEASTERN MICHIGAN
Next meeting: May 20
Location: TBD
Topic: Chapter meeting planning

We held our charter meeting April 8. The agenda included introductions to IPC
and the Designers Council, its goals and membership benefits, chapter
formation details, and a membership forum titled, What it Takes to be a Good
Designer.

SPACE COAST (Melbourne, FL)
At our April meeting we viewed the IPC video on flex circuit manufacturing.
We need volunteers to help develop a focus module for HDI/microvia
certification.

SUSQUEHANNA REGION
Our chapter hosts a study group to discuss the requirements and help prepare
for the designer certification exam. We meet Monday nights, from 6:30 to 8
p.m., at RPA Electronics Design LLC, 1285 Chenango St., Binghamton. Please
reply to Mark Radley (607-771-0393; [log in to unmask]) to confirm your interest
and ability to attend and any other comments. If dates/times are a problem
please let us know.