DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Lisa Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 12:35:38 -0600 (CST)
The Designers Certification program is in full swing in the U.S.

The IPC Designers Council published a study guide in the first part of
last year. It is currently available (worldwide) through the IPC. The
study guide is organized into five topics of discussion, and follows the
process flow of designing a board. These topics are:
  Design Considerations
  Layout Principles
  Component and Assembly Issues
  Printed Board Characteristics
  Documentation and Dimensioning
The study guide covers all the objectives for each of the ten sections of
the PWB Design Certification exam including electrical considerations,
material properties, board fabrication, testing technology, and
reliability issues among others.

The testing portion of the education program has gone through several
improvements. The IPC Designers Council receives data back on every test
taken. A subcommittee of the Designers Council's Education
Committee has reviewed that data and recommended clarifications on some
of the questions and potential answers. The subcommittee also recommended,
based on the data received, to remove the requirement to pass all ten
sections of the test.

Those changes have been implemented and the certification candidate needs
to achieve a grade of 73% to pass.

Unfortunately, I believe that the test is currently avaible only in the
U.S. We are currently working out an agreement with our test
administrator, Sylvan, to make it available in other countries.

In addition, significant work has been completed on a CD ROM version of the
study guide. There are still a few changes to be made, but we expect that
it should be available in February.

The study guide costs $20 for members and $40 for non-members. For
substantial savings, the study guide can be purchased with other
preparatory materials and vouchers for the exam.

Study Package B       $175 members  /  $250 non-members
(includes exam voucher, IPC-D-275, IPC-T-50, and study guide)

Study Package C       $60  members  /  $120 non-members
(includes IPC-D-275, IPC-T-50, and study guide)

IPC-D-275             $30  members  /  $60  non-members
IPC-T-50              $30  members  /  $60  non-members

PWB Design Certification Exam  $160 for both members and non-members
(call 1-800-895-EXAM to schedule an appointment)

Lisa M. Williams
Technical Staff
IPC
2215 Sanders Road