DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
[log in to unmask] (Jack Crawford)
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 1996 14:38:18 -0500
Don't get carried away on this--listen to the news and read the papers.
The service has ONLY info that is available from many other "public"
sources. They DO NOT PUBLISH any ones social security number. (Records can
be accessed if a SSN is known; some claim the service is used to "verify"
someone's number.)  A rep from the company said on the radio this morning
(9/19/96) NPR (check the REAL AUDIO archives for the story) that they DO
NOT HAVE ANY "MOTHER'S MAIDEN NAMES" info.  They DO HAVE current and
sometimes several previous addresses. The company rep said they are
introducing additional safeguards to protect who can access the info. The
commentator noted that his unpublished phone number was available, and he
had them delete his record because of that. SPAM these folks all you want,
but please recognize that they are ONLY ONE OF A DOZEN companies that have
this info and sell it to various people who purport to have the need or
right to it.

The "right to privacy" is not well defined, and can cause some very
emotional discussions. Those discussions don't belong on technical forums
such as this.

At 10:49 AM 9/19/96, Ray Humphrey wrote:
>The continued invasion of privacy REALLY IRRITATES ME!  I forward this for
>your information/action as you see fit.  I just called them and the ONLY way
>to get your name removed is via fax or letter.  Call the 800 number listed
>below and select option 1 if you are a Lexis customer or option 2 if you are
>not.  They will then give you instructions.
>
>>Text item:
>

>>  FWD>Oh no you don't...
>
>>This is not a joke...
>

>>Your name, social security number, current address, previous
>>addresses, mother's maiden name, birth date and other personal
>>information are now available to anyone with a credit card through a
>>new Lexis database called P-Trax.  As I am sure you are aware, this
>>information could be used to commit credit card fraud or otherwise
>>allow someone else to use your identity.
>>
>>You can have your name and information removed from this list by
>>making a telephone request.  Call (800)543-6862, select option 4 and
>>then option 3 ("all other questions") and tell the representative
>>answering that you wish to remove your name from the P-trax database.
>>You may also send a fax to (513) 865-7360, or physical mail to
>>LEXIS-NEXIS / P.O.  Box 933 / Dayton, Ohio 45401-0933.  Sending
>>physical mail to confirm your name has been removed is always a good
>>idea.
>>
>>As word of the existence of this database has spread on the net,
>>Lexis-Nexis has been inundated with calls, and has set up a special
>>set of operators to handle the volume.  In addition, Andrew Bleh
>>(rhymes with "Play") is a manager responsible for this product, and is
>>the person to whom complaints about the service could be directed.  He
>>can be reached at the above 800 number.  Ask for extension 3385.
>>According to Lexis, the manager responsible is Bill Fister at
>>extension 1364.

>>I called this morning and had my name removed.  The representative
>>will need your name and social security number to remove you from the
>>list.  I suggest that we inundate these people with requests to remove
>>our info from the list and forward this e-mail to everyone we know.
>
>Ray Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
>DynaCad Design Services (503)642-4040

***ALL NEW EMPF PHONE NUMBERS***

                      Jack Crawford