DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
David Cary <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 10:53:35 -0600
Dear Stephen Thomas,

I agree with Ed Valentine. For reflow soldered boards, arbitrary angle placement
is not a problem.

I had to do a couple of boards that had to fit in a small circular area, and
both of the assembly houses that I talked to didn't have any problem
auto-placing components at arbitrary angles and then reflow soldering. My
understanding was that their machines were capable of placing on 1 degree
increments. (I think that surface tension pulls chip resistors into the correct
position even if they're placed with tens of degrees of error).

I don't know enough to comment on wave soldering.

All the people at the assembly houses I've visited have been very friendly.
They've been very helpful answering my silly little questions.

Ed Valentine <[log in to unmask]> on 2001-02-07 09:21:42 AM responded: