DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Pete Waddell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 05 Nov 96 11:06:00 PST
     Ross is absolutely correct when he says that we will continue to have
     problems in the future. In my mind (purely my OPINION) 5the only thing
     that will bring D-35X into common use would be a compelling reason
     from users. I am finally convinced that there is not an EDA conspiracy
     to kill D-350. The EDA developers will support something when the
     users demand it. Untill users have a compelling reason to use a
     format/standard there is no reason to support it. All fabricators and
     manufacturers DO NOT support D-350. The few that do and have offered
     discounts on tooling for D-350 have not done enough to make the user
     community aware of this. It has been a very haphazard effort.
     Gerber became a "standard" because board shops promoted the cost and
     time advantages (to the customer) of Gerber files, and because they
     (board shops) began to demand files over films.
     Gary is absolutly right when he states that EDIF is not adequate for
     manufacturing - at this point. EDIF 4 0 0 contains electrical and
     component data but is weak in manufaturing data. I've heard that the
     IPC and EDIF are trying to work together to establish a data format,
     but with all due respect to Gary the IPC and the volunteer committees,
     volunteer committees by their very nature take an inordinate amount of
     time to get things going. The true answer (again my opinion) is one
     that will involve pain and dedication from the user community - but
     that's a topic for other venues.

     Pete Waddell