DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Date:
Thu, 02 Jan 97 09:52:27 EST
          Please read the attached files for information regarding the
          upcoming meeting and seminars.  Both require a response date
          by January 10th so please RSVP by e-mail to [log in to unmask],
          or FAX 301-206-5358.

Electronics Fundamentals for Designers a.k.a.
Beebob to the Boolean Boogie
(Two-Day Seminar)

This seminar is intended for anyone who is interested in
understanding the fundamental concepts of electronics and electronics
design, particularly those who work in the electronics industry, but who do
not have the benefit of a formal electronics background.  This includes, but
is not limited to, software developers, component distributors, sales and
marketing groups, layout designers,  and manufacturing and assembly
personnel.

Note that the seminar is non-trivial and covers a lot of ground; but we start
with basic concepts, each part of the material builds on earlier discussions,
and we don't rush things.  Even if you're an absolute novice, you'll be
amazed by how much you will learn in these two days.  And even if you
already know quite a lot, by the end of this seminar you'll know an awful
lot more :-)

     "Max's breadth of knowledge is incredible (as is his sense of
            humor). / highly recommend Max as a eminently
         knowledgeable and exceedingly entertaining speaker."
                       Gary Smith, Senior Analyst, DataQuest.

"The Austin Chapter's seminar presented by Clive (Max) Maxfield
was  well worth the trip .... we were educated by a master entertainer, or
was it entertained by a master educator?.... this seminar is a  must...."
            Houston IPC Designer's Council newsletter, October 1995

Day 1: Electronics Fundamentals

Analog versus Digital:
What do electronic engineers mean by the "analog" and "digital"
views of the world?  If the digital view is only a subset of the analog view,
then why do so many engineers practice digital electronics? And what does
a fool sliding down a ramp and a brick on the end of a piece of elastic have
to do with anything?

Atoms, Molecules, and Crystals:
Matter, the stuff that everything is made of, is formed from atoms, but
what are atoms made from?  How could you fit a camel through the eye of
a needle?  How do atoms form larger structures like molecules and crystals,
and where do circus jugglers fit into the picture?

Conductors and Insulators: Voltage, Current, Resistance,
Capacitance, and Inductance:
In addition to attempting to take the world record as the longest title, this
section introduces the most fundamental of electronic concepts.

Semiconductors: Diodes and Transistors:
Most materials are either conductors, insulators, or somewhere
 in-between, but a special class of materials known as
"semiconductors" can exhibit both conducting and insulating
properties.  Here we'll look at the way in which semiconductors are
formed and used to make components such as diodes and transistors,
and why transistors can be considered to act as switches.

Primitive Logic Functions:
Here we stalk the primitive logic function into its lair - confront the
rambunctious NOT gate, the lovable AND, the indecisive OR, and the
esoteric XNOR.  Also, why do the switches controlling the lights in
your hallway at home provide a classic example of an XNOR
function?

Using Transistors to build Primitive Logic Functions:
No longer are the ancient mysteries of the transistor to be available
only to the members of the inner sanctum; those furtive creatures of
dubious morals who practice strange handshakes and outlandish
rituals involving esoteric fruits.  Finally, the veils are ripped asunder
and the transistor's gruesome secrets are exposed for all to see  .....

Alternative Numbering Systems:
Where did numbers come from?  Why did the Babylonian's number
system give them so much trouble when it rained?  Why do we have
twenty-four hours in a day and why do some people count using both
fingers and toes?  What number systems are favored by electronics
engineers and what is a "trit"?'

Binary Arithmetic:
Starting with the ancient technique of "casting out the nines," we
learn the grizzly truth about unsigned versus signed binary numbers,
binary addition, subtraction, and multiplication, and why binary
division is best left to computers (because they're in no position to
argue about it!).

Boolean Algebra:
Boolean Algebra, which is currently one of the most significant
mathematical tools available to electronics engineers, was actually
invented around the 1850s to represent and test philosophical
arguments.  Here we discover the difference between a statement
("Your face resembles a cabbage') and a proposition ("I just tipped a
bucket of boiling oil into your lap').  On a more serious note,
understanding the basic concepts of Boolean algebra will help to make
sense of the role of logic synthesis which is introduced on the second
day of the seminar.

Karnaugh Maps:
An alternative technique for representing Boolean functions which, in
addition to being useful for minimizing said functions, can be lots of
fun if you know what you're doing (and something of a pain if you
don't).

Using Primitive Logic Functions to build more Complex
Functions:
This is where things start to get really interesting.  Learn how to use
primitive logic gates to construct more complex functions, including
equality comparators, multiplexers, decoders, tri-state functions,
latches, registers, shift registers, and counters.  Also learn what these
functions  have to do with the length of the Great Wall of China.

State Diagrams, State Tables, and State Machines:
An intimate expose of a coin-operated machine that accepts nickels
and dimes and, for the princely sum of fifteen cents, dispenses some
useful article called a "gizmo" that the well-dressed-man-about-town
could not possibly be without!

Analog-to-Digital and Digital-to-Analog:
As we commenced the day by separating the analog and digital views
of the world, it seems appropriate to close ft by reuniting them in the
form of "Analog-to-Digital" and "Digital-to-Analog" conversion.

Day 2: Components, Processes, and EDA

Integrated Circuits:
In the 1950s, transistors and other electronic devices were only
available as individually packaged components.  The vast
miniaturization of modern electronic artifacts is due to the
invention of the integrated circuit, in which millions of transistors can
be formed on a sliver, or chip, of semiconductor material.  Here we
describe just how we go about making these cunning little devices.

Memory Integrated Circuits:
Memory devices are a special class of integrated circuit which are used
to store binary data for later use.  Here we introduce the underlying
architectures of ROMS, RAMs (including SRAMs and DRAMs),
PROMS, EPROMS, EEPROMS, FLASH Memory, and nvRAMs.

Programmable Integrated Circuits:
Programmable logic devices (PLDS) are integrated circuits which are
constructed in such a way that a designer can configure them to
perform a specific function.  Although the concepts are simple, there
are a multiplicity of PLD alternatives, most of which seem to have
mnemonics formed from different combinations of the same three or
four letters.  Here we introduce PLAs, PALs, GALs, PROMs, EPLDs,
EEPLDs, FLASH-PLDs, CPLDs, and FPGAs   ..... you see what we
mean, but all will become clear after this seminar.

Application-Specific Integrated Circuits (ASICs):
An application-specific integrated circuit is a device whose function
can be customized by the designer for a particular application.  In
addition to the programmable logic devices discussed above, this
section introduces gate arrays (including sea-of-gates), standard cell
devices  (including compiled cells), and full-custom devices (which,
by some strange quirk of fate, also  include compiled cells).

Hybrids:
The word hybrid is defined as: "the offspring resulting from
crossbreeding." Many would agree that this is an apt description for
the species of electronic entities known as hybrids, which combine
esoteric mixtures of interconnection and packaging technologies.
Here we introduce hybrid substrates and the thick-film and thin-film
hybrid processes.  Also revealed is the relationship between hybrids
and musical socks .... you know, the ones that you receive as a
Christmas present from your doting aunts, which play an annoying
tune when you squeeze them (the socks, not the aunts).

Multichip Modules:
The phrase "multichip module" is the generic name for a group of
advanced interconnection and packaging technologies.  In addition to
answering the questio "'Why use Multichip Modules?," we'll discuss
cofired ceramics, low-fired cofired ceramics, pin grid arrays, pad grid
arrays, ball grid arrays, column grid arrays, and the concept of
equivalent integrated circuits.

EDA Tools and Techniques:
Here we will introduce the tools available to electronic designers,
along with the ways in which a designer sets about creating an
electronic circuit, Amongst other things, this discussion includes
different flavors of design capture (schematic, textural HDL, and
graphical mechanisms, such as state diagram and flowchart editors),
logic synthesis, simulation, timing analysis, and the relationship
between these tools and layout software.

But Wait, There's More:
Should time permit, we'll also introduce a smorgasbord of
technologies, many of which have only recently become commercially
available or are on the cutting-edge of research and development.
Among other topics, this section introduces dynamically
reconfigurable hardware, optical interconnect, protein memories and
switches, hetrojunction transistors, diamond substrates,
superconductors, and nanotechnology.  Also, following the seminar,
the presenter will be happy to discuss individual questions (preferably
on the subject of electronics) that are of special interest to the
students.

IPC Designers Council - Chesapeake Chapter

1997 Upcoming Events -- Registration Deadlines January 10th!

The IPC Designers Council Chesapeake Chapter is hosting a
two-day seminar on Friday, February 7th, and Saturday, February
8th, 1997 courtesy of the chapter and Veribest at their offices in the
Intergraph Building at 2051 Mercator Drive in Reston, Virginia.
The seminar will run from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM each day.  The
topic of the seminar is "Electronic Fundamentals for Designers
a.k.a. Bebop to the Boolean Boogie" and is presented by Clive
"Max" Maxfield a most dynamic speaker.  For the details, please
see the file item attached.

The cost of the two day seminar for Chesapeake Chapter members
is $25.00 and $75.00 for non-members.  In order to host this event,
registration must be completed by Friday, January 10th, 1997.  To
avoid cancellation we must have at least 20 participants guaranteed
by January 10th.  Seating is limited to 40 people and will be on a
first come first served basis, so please register via e-mail to
[log in to unmask], or fax to 301-206-5358 and forward your
check  as quickly as possible.  Please make your check payable to
the IPC Designers Council Chesapeake Chapter and send c/o
Carrie Lawn, HADCO Corporation, 14109 Greenview Drive,
Laurel, MD 20708.

Just a reminder, in case you have not yet done so,  to register for
the January 20th, 1997 (6:30 PM) Designers Council Chesapeake
Chapter monthly meeting by January 10th.  The meeting will be
held at Orbital Sciences Corporation in Germantown, Maryland.
Please register via e-mail ([log in to unmask]), or fax
(301-206-5358).  Please include your name, company, and social
security number for security procedures.  This information will not
be published, except to Orbital Sciences security and contact.  At
the meeting, you must also have a valid picture driver's license for
identification.

Our guest speaker January 20th is Steve Zimmer from HADCO's
Owego, New York volume facility.  Steve will be discussing
controlled impedance.  If you have any specific questions, please
e-mail them to [log in to unmask] with a copy to

Don't forget to check out the WEB page (created by Matt
Demaree) and hosted by IPC for our Chapter at:

      http://www.IPC.org/ches/index.html