DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
David Cary <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 17:41:22 -0500
Dear George Kotecki,

The parts on my schematics also list our internal company part number.
(Purchasing uses this to lookup into their database of who they purchased this
from last time, what their part number is, alternate manufacturrers and their
respective part numbers, how many we have in stock, what price we paid last
time, etc). This is used to discriminate between the several incompatible kinds
of 10 KOhm 5% resistors we use. I use part number "(unstuffed)" (rather than
something like "#01234") to make sure that "part" is never actually purchased.

Quoting from http://www.egroups.com/files/protel-users/protelfaq.txt
:

Occasionally you have "parts" that you don't actually have to buy. For example,
connectors that are only needed on the prototype board, left off of production
boards. Or fiducuals and RF "components" that are really just patterns in the
copper. Since my purchasing agent panics when a part is mentioned on the
silkscreen but gets left off their BOMs, I put "(unstuffed)" or "(unused)" or
"prototype only" or something similar to reassure him that this is a complete
BOM and we aren't forgetting some crucial component.

"Kotecki, George" <[log in to unmask]> on 2000-09-20 04:17:31 PM

Please respond to "DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum." <[log in to unmask]>;
      Please respond to "Kotecki, George" <[log in to unmask]>