DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2015

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Tom Hausherr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2015 08:10:22 -0800
Bill,

The Courtyard comment was in reference to some members of the IPC-7351 executive committee not wanting to publish any guidelines on silkscreen outlines because they are against the use of silkscreen outlines in PCB library parts. Our push back was to at least have some guidelines on silkscreen outlines and the response was to create some general rules:

- No silkscreen outline under the component body; these get covered up during assembly and don’t provide any useful purpose (waste of ink)

- Silkscreen outlines visible after assembly process and provide a functional use as alignment marking for assembly registration accuracy

- Silkscreen outlines should be inside placement courtyard. Because part placement allows courtyard to courtyard bumping, if silkscreen is allowed outside the courtyard boundary it could easily be confused with neighboring parts.

- Silkscreen outlines should be mapped to the Maximum Component Body with one exception, the Silkscreen to Pad spacing rule “overrides” the Component Body Mapping

- Silkscreen outlines should map the component body and not go around pads. Excess silkscreen outlines should be avoided to make room for ref des locations. Silkscreen outlines should perform a “hatch” outline along the component package body.

- Pin 1 is identified by extending the silkscreen along Pin 1 length of pads when component leads extend outward. Bottom only terminals Pin 1 is identified by a missing line.

However, the IPC Calculator has a preference switch to allow silkscreen outlines outside the courtyard if the user wants that feature. All drafting outlines have on/off features that the user controls as preferences. Also, the IPC Calculator does produce a Pin 1 dot that is sizeable by the user and has an on/off switch because some PCB designers like and others don't. The industry is changing very rapidly toward micro-miniature component packages and new concepts regarding silkscreen and polarity marking must be addressed. But sometimes, it's hard to teach old dogs new tricks (or rather some won't accept change, even if it's for the better). :-)

Your message indicates that you do not use the IPC Calculator and that you are making assumptions based on a presentation. Before you comment again, download and install the free IPC Calculator with 21 CAD tool interfaces and tell us what you don't like about it - www.pcblibraries.com

Tom

Tom Hausherr CID+, CIT
President
PCB Libraries, Inc.