DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
David Bergman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 09:21:23 -0600 (CST)
Gary, from the rumor side, it is a fact and not just rumor.  Glass supply
will most likely be tight through the balance of 1996 with additional
capacity appearing in 1997.  This was confirmed by several speakers at
the IPC Fall 95 meeting in Providence.

As far as alternatives, and costs, others would be more appropriate to
answer this. But for what its worth, Glasteel Industrial Laminates has a
polyester/glass mix which I believe is cheaper than FR-4 but it still has
a supply problem for the glass portion.  Composite laminates should also
be cheaper, but there is not much (if any) production of this in the U.S.

Regards
Dave
David W. Bergman, Technical Director
IPC