DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

May 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Pete Waddell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2005 12:21:49 -0400
I recently saw an article that stated that in math and science, U.S. 15 year olds ranked 24th out of 38 developed countries. That to me is a crying shame.
On another note, Andy Shaughnessy and I just returned from IPC's Capitol Hill Day.The focus this year (as last year) was on the Chinese currency manipulation and how it affects the PCB industry in the U.S. and other countries. It was very interesting for me, although I was disappointed to see only 19 companies represented (three of them were press). In the coming weeks and months you'll see more from us on this issue and if you don't become involved - at lease sending an e-mail or fax to your representatives and senators - then you have no one to blame but the person in the mirror. When some of you are asking what the IPC is doing for it's membership, this is an example of a good thing they are doing for the industry. I promise we will put together a report on the trip and make it available to you folks.

Also, stay tuned for the article we promised - Andy and Tracy will be working on this "who, what, when, where and why" type article.

Cheers,
p.

WC.COM 05/20/05 12:02PM >>>
Sharing time...

http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/05/19/HNscienceeducate_1.html

One sentence caught my eye...

"In the 1950s and '60s, parents told children to eat everything on their
plates because children in Asia were starving. "Now the message from parents
should be, 'make sure you study very hard, because there are kids in China
and India who want your job'," he said. " - By Grant Gross, IDG News Service
May 19, 2005

The focus of the article is on math and science, which I think there is
already a focus in some schools, well except the liberal arts schools...that
is.

I think there also needs to be vocational and craftsmanship training for
young students... the fundamental skills to 'design' come from exposure to
materials and processes that make a successful project. Woodshop, metal
shop, automotive shop, are all great ways to expose kids to 'how to make
something'...and they get a sense of accomplishment from the endeavor....

Middle and High schools have discarded their programs for kids to learn
vocational subjects and skill based training and I think this is a mistake
that we need to correct. The future generation learning is school now will
be running the country when we are retired... How secure does that make you
feel?

It's a grand adventure... :)

Bill Brooks - KG6VVP
PCB Design Engineer, C.I.D.+, C.I.I.
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
Datron World Communications, Inc.

Pete Waddell
President
UP Media Group