DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Andrew Kowalewski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 11:09:28 -0600
Hi Mathew,

IPC-782-A is meant to be very much only a guide - it was generated by about 200
companies sending volunteers to the IPC sub-committee, and as a result gives
dimensions, pad sizes and specifications which will virtually guarantee
manufacturability for any assembly process.

That's the rub - 782A has a poor reputation for being something it isn't, and it
was never meant to be a definitive document because of the broad range of
requirements designers face. Some designers complain bitterly that its
suggestions are very broad and no help at all in tight boards. I think most
designers expect it to give minimum sizes so that they know what they can get
away with, but that particular issue depends on your assembly process and your
board fab shop.

In your case, use it (782A)  as a guide. Talk first with your assembly people
about solder paste deposition tolerances, component placement accuracy and
tolerance and reflow/wave soldering requirements. Talk then with your board
fabricator about types of solder mask, solder mask fabrication tolerances and
track widths/spaces and tolerances. Then sit down and plan your board before you
start - how much room you have for placement and tracking will be your major
decision. Then work out your pad sizes, track sizes and placement clearances to
get to where you want to go.

Any one of us could give you lots of specific recommendations - they'll all be a
little different. For example, I do mobile phone layouts and I bet my pads are
smaller than most, but that's only because they have to be to get everything to
fit.

If you're looking for something more definite, Jim Blankenhorn at SMT Plus has a
series of manuals with defined sizes that you might find useful. I've spoken
with a number of designers who use his manual (and libraries now too, I think)
and they say they've never had trouble. Might be worth your while to chase that
up.

If I can help you some more, email me directly at  [log in to unmask]

Cheers

Andy Kowalewski           (972) 550 6365