DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

April 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 09:24:57 -0700
Dave,

Well, it's obvious that the guilty CEO's don't have anything to loose from
that tactic... at least for now... But, I think the issue here is really...
How to save Engineering and PCB Design as a career in our countries in spite
of the Global Corporations redistribution of jobs?... If everyone decides to
roll over and give up... what's next?

Getting mad at the aristocrats for their lack of vision and selfish
wholesaling of engineering jobs to the 3rd world is natural but isn't going
to solve the problem... They are chasing the bottom line...  The people
living there need jobs too, I just wish they could create their own and not
take ours... In fact it's their desperation for jobs there that makes them
such a ripe target for the CEO's as a low cost labor force... Our education
system here is crumbling, and politically we need to apply pressure on our
leaders to change this situation... The recent discovery here in California
that most of the tax money that goes into education is paying full salary
pensions rather than teaching children is very disturbing... no wonder they
lobby so hard for education dollars to protect that golden retirement
benefit...

I'm amazed that so many of us just take this sitting down... our livelihoods
are under attack, our families ability to survive is threatened, our
countries position in the world as a technology driven leader of nations is
being undermined and what do we do? Do we shrug our shoulders and go get in
line at the unemployment office? Please 'Say it isn't so'...

I maybe the last optimist on earth but I think we will have a resurgence of
technical development again... in fact it may be beginning already, and the
bulk of it will be here in the USA and in Europe... but it's not going to
happen if we don't lobby for it. IPC is scheduled to attend a 'Capitol Hill'
day coming up... I really hope this issue is brought into the discussion and
made more prominent in the minds of our leaders. Will designers be ready for
the next advances in technology? Will we be trained and ready to deal with
the challenges? Who's going to teach us and our next generation of
designers? How will they fund it? We need investment in the country and it's
intellectual trust... or we end up being 'consumers' or 'cattle' if you
will.

Are you in Canada? How are you dealing with the mass exodus of engineering
jobs there? I wonder how things are in Europe as well... Do you think India
and China take over the technology development in the world while we fall
into decline? I hope not... I like being a part of the technology sector as
a PCB designer... I think my kids would like it too if they could see it as
a good career... but they don't right now... one of my boys is working in
HVAC as an installer and the other is just graduating from High School this
year and has no idea what he will do... all he sees is service jobs on the
horizon right now... what do I tell him?

I want to see more technical educational material made available to the
colleges and High Schools and skill based shop classes brought back to the
curriculum... craftsmanship, design, math, science and a sense of quality
and pride in ones achievements seems to be lacking in the schools these
days... Who's going to inspire the next generation? I'm more worried about
the future of the kids than I am about us... Hell, we will be retired and
working part time as 'Wall Mart greeters' to keep busy...or some other such
mundane activity... I don't have a retirement pension or any stock options
to fall back on so I will most likely work until I drop or until they won't
hire me because I get too old... :)

Best regards,

Bill Brooks - KG6VVP
PCB Design Engineer , C.I.D.+, C.I.I.
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
e-mail:[log in to unmask]
http://www.dtwc.com
http://pcbwizards.com