DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Joe Zdybowicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 1996 09:01:39 -0400 (EDT)

doug,

It seems to me your customer is asking for a "diff" of the gerber files.
I think you are right, the engineer should be able track the net list
changes, this should be a function of the schematics.  I would think
if the engineer can provide a net list with all the changes then you
would be in business. BUT, this doesn't help you in you current situation.

Can you do a "diff" on the net lists ?   Or write a script to do the same.
Are you on UNIX or windows ?

There is one other way that I know of that might help you,  ADI Pro-Circuit
Builder is a gerber tool with intellegence.  It is able to read a net list
and compair it to the gerber database.  It seems a powerful tool to me.

I think this could help you find the differences in the two revisions of
a board.  ADI reads both the gerber files and a net list. To find the
differences you could provide the gerber files for the current board,
along with the net list from the old one.  This should produce a list of
differences.  You would need to call them to find out if it can do all
the stuff you'll need.

Contact:
Robert Lowry
ADI
703-742-9400x21

Automata, in Sterling Virgina, a board shop, uses this tool.

let me know how it works out.
joez