DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

June 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Mitch Morey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 08:54:10 -0800
Hi Ray,

The aspect ratios you mention are mostly for uVia technologies, and even
that is being addressed to get to more layers. I've done some deisgns in
the past using "mechanically drilled" (same technology as thru holes,
same drills) .010" FHS holes. I've done boards going from layer1 to
layer2; layer1 to layer3; and layer1 to layer5, all on the same board
WITHOUT going to uVias. I've dealt with many fab shops that could do
this, and the cost isn't outrageous either. I haven't run into a fab
shops lately that's quivered at my designs. I like the technique much
better than uVia applications, especially regarding costs.

Hope this helps.

Mitch