DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

November 2012

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Dean Stadem <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2012 21:04:44 -0600
Hello, Rahman. I congratulate you on your ability to just get out there and ask questions. As you have seen, the people at Designer Council are all eager to provide you some good advice, and they certainly have. They are a great group of people.

I see you have started reading some of the IPC Design standards. I would recommend in particular that you read IPC-D-279 and IPC-D-330, as well as those in the PWB Fabrication set that can be found listed under Collection C-105.

The Fabrication standards, such as IPC-6012, -6011, 2221A, 4101A, etc., have tons of valuable information. Don't limit yourself to just the standards under the Design heading. No design engineer can reasonably perform his/her job without a good understanding of the fabrication methods and rules.

But you know what? Just in perusing the Standards library, I can understand where someone just starting out may be overwhelmed by all of the topics. However, getting the CID and CID+ certifications will give you a good solid foundation to start, and then the rest of the standards, software programs, etc, will just be piled on depending on what path your career takes you. You may start by working on Multichip modules, in which case you may want to read IPC-6015, or you may start with high-density interconnects, in which case you would find IPC-6016 invaluable. In short, see where your career as a designer takes you, and believe me, there is a full complement of IPC standards and IPC friends to help you every step of the way as you travel down that career path.

And you will never, ever suffer from insomnia. Anytime you can't sleep, just pick up one of the Standards and zzzzzzzz........