DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

January 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Dack.Kelly" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:42:24 -0800
Greetings Gary,

With regards to quality problems, if everyone in the design and mfg and Q.C.
chain has done their job right, you shouldn't have to expect any.
Hopefully, this is the case.

If the fabrication drawing is calling for .062 FR4 copper clad and nothing
more, here are some issues to consider depending PERFORMANCE CONSTRAINTS of
the design:

(1) .062 CC commonly infers an off-the-shelf  "stock" material which will be
processed into a two-sided design.  If this is the case, go to (2)  If not,
go to (A)

(2) "Copper Clad" might be a little vague if this design has any current
carrying constraints.  If this design has no current carrying capacity req's
over 1amp, check to make sure that min trace width is >/= to ~.010 [.25]
Check to make sure that the copper clad is at least 1/2oz. It will be plated
up another  ~1oz during processing. Go to (3)

(3) Coordinate a manufacturability review with your contract assembly
vendor.  They will be an invaluable source of information.  They will
require the raw data from the design - the design database.  They will get
back to you with a detailed set of issues, if any.  If there are issues,
cycle them back thru the EE.  Make sure that the issues are addressed in the
source design database.  Often, CM's offer to just fix the problem. If this
happens, it is sure to crop up again in another iteration of the design as
it is re-output from the source.

(A) If this is a multi-layer design, ".062thk FR4 Copper Clad" is way too
vague.  If this design is impedance controlled, it will need to spec the
impedance along w/ a layer stackup.  You need to get with EE and contract
mfr and get requirements spec'd on the fabrication drawing.

Just some thoughts I had time for this morning.. Hope this helps.

-- Kelly

Kelly Dack
PCB Dsnr
Reno, NV