DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

July 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Nick Ban (PCBL)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 23:22:54 -0500
1). Have the IPC-7351 specs replaced the IPC-SM-782 specs?
The 782 is obsolete. The new standard is flying off the shelves @IPC from
what I hear; many companies started adopting the new standard because the
old standard was created a long time ago when cell phones were the size of
bricks. Sounds trite, but technology changes.

2). Which spec should we be designing to?
The industry dictates that, really. A growing number of companies are
starting to use the new 7351, especially since it allows greater flexibility
than the 782 (has three tiers), and comes available with a growing amount of
free library documentation for thousands of parts. Does this mean you can't
design to the 782? No, I'm sure there are still people who still use
obsolete 'standards' like the D-275 (was replaced in 1998 by the far more
comprehensive IPC-2220 Series).

3). Why have the specs changed?
See answer #1 above.

4). Are the IPC-7351 Specs incorrect?
The industry decides what is correct and what isn't. As Matthew said, if you
still use the 782, your work is not necessarily wrong, but in choosing so,
you are however limiting the amount of resources you can use to make your
design sooo much more efficient. The earlier companies adopt the new
standard, the more they benefit from first mover advantage because its not a
question of whether or not the 7351 will completely replace the 782 in the
industry. It's a questions of when (ie it will happen). Some lead, others
follow, some try to do both. Neither is wrong, it depends on your business
model.

Nick